From GDFR Wiki
Format Registry - Next Steps
This wiki is being used to support the Format Registry Working Group activities. This group consists of members from the British Library, the California Digital Library, Harvard University Library, the National Archives, the National Library of Australia, the National Library of New Zealand, Portico, and Tessella.
This Working Group is charged with compiling a registry software analysis, registry requirements analysis and a governance model proposal that will help the digital preservation community determine the best way forward in establishing a community format registry.
The Working Group's activities are scheduled to span November 2008-February 13, 2009. The activity deliverables will be published to this wiki. The work consists of 6 activities:
- Activity 1: Inventory of the PRONOM and GDFR software and data (-December 31, 2008)
- Activity 2: Gap analysis between PRONOM and GDFR (-January 30, 2009) This Activity has been deemed unnecessary and has been canceled.
- Activity 3: Gathering of functional and non-functional requirements for a community format registry (-was December 31, 2008, extended to January 15, 2009)
- Activity 4: Gap analysis between the functional and non-functional requirements and the registry inventory (-was January 30, 2009, extended to February 15, 2009)
- Activity 5: Gathering of ideas and examples for a governance model (-was December 31, 2008, extended to January 15, 2009)
- Activity 6: Proposal for a governance model based on the ideas and examples gathered (-February 13, 2009)